Big Bags – Bulk bags – UN bags or FIBC (Flexible Intermediate Bulk Containers) are used for transport and storage of unpackaged industrial materials.
- Industrial Use – Standard type is selected
- Agriculture (mainly for potatoes and onions) – Air Bags type is selected
- Transportation (building materials, wood, coal) – Standard type is selected
- Chemical Industry – UN type is selected
- Minerals – Standard, or UN type is selected
- Gardening – Standard type is selected
- Waste/Cement Industry – Standard, or UN type is selected
They are produced from polypropylene (PP) in many different types and dimensions, and upon request, they can have an inner polyethylene bag or be laminated (i.e. waterproof).
The type of big bag is mainly determined by the shape of the upper part (open, with a filling valve or with some form of extension) and its lower part (closed or with a discharge valve), but also by how many support points it has (1 central, 2 lateral, or 4 -one in each corner). They are available in different types and dimensions depending on the form of the material being packed, the volume and weight of transport and in general the requirements of the customer.
Standard Big Bags
- One/Single Loop – closed bottom: they have a support point at the top and an internal waterproof polyethylene liner. Their use is mainly for the storage and transport of liquids, such as lime.
- Two Loops – closed bottom: they have two support points at the top and an internal waterproof polyethylene liner. Their use is mainly for the storage and transport of liquids, such as lime.
- Four Loops, one at each corner for lifting and carrying of the big bag.
The top can be open, with a valve, or with an extension of fabric on each side, closing with a string.
The bottom can be closed or have a valve to empty the material it contains.
In case a material is transported in fresh form or must be isolated from moisture, an inner liner (polyethylene plastic bag) is used.
They have mesh strips lengthwise to ventilate their interior as well as the products contained therein. Ventilated bulk bags are mainly used for storing and transporting potatoes, wood and other products that need aeration. Also, they have 4 loops and are open at the top – with a valve at the bottom in order to empty the fresh products (potatoes, onions).
UN Big Bags
UN big bags are certified for the transport of hazardous materials (HAZardous MATerials) according to ADR regulations. Compared to standard FIBCs, UN Big Bags are highly durable to prevent leakage of hazardous materials even when under pressure, features for which they are thoroughly tested and inspected to comply with all required specifications and to keep the product safe during transport.
These tests are lifting and dropping (vertically or sideways) a filled big bag up to 5 times its payload and returning it to a vertical position, as well as testing the stacking strength of full big bags and a stretch test while filled to breaking point.
According to the level of danger of the packaged material, UNs are characterized by a combination of the numbers I, II, III as well as the letters X, Y, Z.
At the same time, regarding the technical characteristics of the big bag, they are divided into types:
- 13H1: woven PP without coating and without liner
- 13H2: woven PP, coated and without liner
- 13H3: woven PP, uncoated and with liner
- 13H4: woven PP, coated and with liner
Learn more at https://www.hellagro.gr/en/product/big-bags/