HELLAGRO plastic grape guards (or sulfur dioxide generating sheets) appeared in the market 20 years ago and have brought a new, highly innovative development in the grape guard sector.
They became the product of choice in many markets and therefore over the years there has been development of competing plastic grape guards. These products are manufactured and printed deliberately to resemble the original. Their performance however is very different. It is the sole plastic grape guard featuring dual release.
In recent years, in order to meet the needs of grape preservation solely during transportation or few day storage, the manufacturer also introduced a product to the market, which features single, rather than dual release of sulfur dioxide.
- Packaging convenience for the grape box.
- Lower labor costs.
- Cost savings due to the elimination of paper packaging materials.
- More uniform distribution of sulfur dioxide in the in the box/crate.
- Safety: Chemicals can not be dispersed if the grape guard is accidentally torn.
- It can easily adapt to dimensions so as to fit most boxes.
- Predictable and stable emission of gas.
- Extensive storage periods are possible without changing sheets.
- As the grape guard does not emit large bursts of gas, in case of cold chain disturbance, grapes are subjected to less damage by sulfur dioxide.
- The sheet is not exhausted when the cold chain is interrupted.
- Table grapes stored in grape guards have low residual sulphites (usually <5ppm), in accordance with Directive 2006/52/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of the 5th of July 2006, relating to food additives, with the exception of pigments and sweeteners.
- Same aesthetic appearance before and after use.
- The staff unpacking the products is never exposed to high levels of sulfur dioxide gases.
- Excellent appearance of stems and berries.
- The storage life of grapes is prolonged.
- Given that the sheet is compressed it requires less storage space.
- The sheet can be easily repacked in the box, if opened for any reason.
- Grape guard sheets do not need to be removed before the container reaches the supermarket.
- Strict quality assurance for each grape guard batch.
- The Batch Number printed on each sheet allows traceability in case of problems.
- Preference of certain British supermarkets for grapes packed with specific grape guards.